Sunday, December 10, 2006

Not your grandma's rolling pin...

Each holiday season, I am involved in the preparation of Danish Kringle. It's a pastry-type dessert with date and nut filling, topped with frosting and more nuts. Yum. We only make it once a year, and I even have made it on my own before, but it's a project best tackled with at least one other person. My mom and I teamed up this year -- as we have since I moved back to Madison in 1999 -- but this year we had extra help in the form of a super-cool rolling pin. Shannon was kind enough to send me this gadget for my birthday. You pour cold water in one end and screw the cap back on and that helps keep the dough from sticking. In the words of Joyce: "Oh, this works great!"
We think this year's batch turned out even better than last year's. Sorry I don't have pics of the final product -- I forgot to charge my camera battery beforehand! It looks quite a bit like this photo I found on Google, if you are wondering what the heck it is.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

My mom has ordered kringle from Racine for about the past 20 years as a Christmas morning tradition. Maybe from now on we'll have to order some from you! You've always wanted to go into business as a baker, right? Delicious!

Guaranteed Fresh said...

PS- another "feature" of the rolling pin is a pin large enough so that when you roll, your knuckles don't hit the counter. That's what the ad said, at least! ;-)